A Brief History
The Mar Thoma Suvisesha Sevika Sanghom the women’s wing, was inaugurated during the Maramon Convention in the year 1919, under the leadership of Abraham Mar Thoma Suffragan Metropolitan., who gave the Sanghom continued support and inspiration.
The organization owes much to the self sacrificing and indefatigable work of Mrs. Kandamma Varghese as organising Secretary for over 20 years travelling far and wide, organising branches in parishes, doing evangelistic work among Christians and non-Christians. She also served as General Secretary for a few years. Dr. Mrs. Annamma George served as organising Secretary for 14 years and organised centres and centre meetings. Her theological insights and vision have taken the women of the Sevika Sanghom to a higher level of thinking in the social and religious sphere.
The Vanitha Mandiram, the Bible school run by the Sevika Sanghom was established in 1925 at the headquarters of the Sanghom. The Mandiram has trained many women as evangelists since its inception. Miss kellaway, an Australian Missionary came with the help of C.M.S and served as the Principal of the Vanitha Mandiram to train the workers.